The Main Components of an Intercom System may include:
• Interior Wall Mount Master or Base Station – Fixed-position intercom station with a built-in loudspeaker and a push to talk microphone or telephone-style handset.
• External Door Station – These units are capable of initiating a call to a Master Station. They are typically weather-proof.
• Handset – permanent or portable telephone-style connection to an intercom station. It includes both an earpiece and a push to talk microphone.
• Power Supply – Used to feed power to all units. Often incorporated into the design of the base station.
• Amplifier – An intercom systems main or central component that is responsible for switching or connecting communication paths between master and substations in addition to distributing or switching power to auxiliary connected devices i.e. door strikes.